- Electrical and Computer Engineering
Primary Research Area
- Optoelectronics and Nanophotonics
- Ph.D., Electrical engineering, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 2003
- M.S. Electrical engineering, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1999
- 2014-present: Assistant professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2008-2014: Research Staff member, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY,
- 2003-2008: Advisory Engineer/Scientist, IBM Semiconductor Research and Development Center (SRDC)
For more information
- Nature photonics highlights, "Damping of plasmons in graphene", 2013
- IEEE spectrum highlights, "IBM demonstrates a competitive graphene infrared detector", 2013
- Nanotechweb.org highlights, "Band tail states appear in MoS2", 2014
- Nature Photonics highlights, "Graphene versus metal plasmons", 2013
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
We are currently recruiting undergraduate students for Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program supported by National Science Foundation (NSF) grants.
Research positions are available to highly motivated undergraduate students who have strong interests in nanoscale electronic and photonic devices and two-dimensional materials.
- Two-dimensional (2D) materials
- Nano-scale electronic and photonic devices
- Flexible electronics based on 2D materials
- Tunneling Devices
- Micro and Nanoelectronics
- Optoelectronics and Nanophotonics
Selected Articles in Journals
- W. C. Yap, H. Jiang, J. Liu, Q. Xia, W. J. Zhu, “Ferroelectric transistors with monolayer molybdenum disulfide and ultra-thin aluminum-doped hafnium oxide”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 111, Article number: 013103, (2017).
- Zhengfeng Yang, Roberto Grassi, Marcus Freitag, Yi-Hsien Lee, Tony Low, and Wenjuan Zhu, "Spatial/temporal photocurrent and electronic transport in monolayer molybdenum disulfide grown by chemical vapor deposition", Applied Physics Letters Vol. 108, Article number: 083104, (2016)
- Shang-Chun Lu, Mohamed Mohamed, and Wenjuan Zhu, “Novel vertical hetero- and homo-junction tunnel field-effect transistors based on multi-layer 2D crystals”, 2D Materials, Vol..3, Article number: 011010, (2016)
- Mehrshad Mehboudi, Benjamin M. Fregoso, Yurong Yang, Wenjuan Zhu, Arend van der Zande, Jaime Ferrer, L. Bellaiche, Pradeep Kumar, and Salvador Barraza-Lopez, "Structural Phase Transition and Material Properties of Few-Layer Monochalcogenides", Physical Review Review Letters, 117, 246802 (2016)
- Mehrshad Mehboudi, Alex M. Dorio, Wenjuan Zhu, Arend van der Zande, Hugh O. H. Churchill, Alejandro A. Pacheco-Sanjuan, Edmund O. Harriss, Pradeep Kumar, and Salvador Barraza-Lopez, â€œTwo-Dimensional Disorder in Black Phosphorus and Monochalcogenide Monolayersâ€, Nano Letters, Vol. 16, pp 1704âˆ’1712, (2016)
- Wenjuan Zhu, Tony Low, Yi-Hsien Lee, Han Wang, Damon B. Farmer, Jing Kong, Fengnian Xia and Phaedon Avouris, “Electronic transport and device prospects of monolayer molybdenum disulphide grown by chemical vapour deposition”, Nature Communications, Vol. 5, Article number: 3087, (2014)
- Marcus Freitag, Tony Low, Luis Martin-Moreno, Wenjuan Zhu, Francisco Guinea and Phaedon Avouris, “Substrate-Sensitive Mid-infrared Photoresponse in Graphene”, ACS Nano, Vol. 8, pp 8350–8356, (2014)
- Yilei Li, Hugen Yan, Damon B Farmer, Xiang Meng, Wenjuan Zhu, Richard M Osgood, Tony F Heinz, Phaedon Avouris, “Graphene plasmon enhanced vibrational sensing of surface-adsorbed layers”, Nano Letters, Vol.14, pp 1573–1577, (2014)
- Hugen Yan, Tony Low, Wenjuan Zhu, Yanqing Wu, Marcus Freitag, Xuesong Li, Francisco Guinea, Phaedon Avouris and Fengnian Xia, "Damping pathways of mid-infrared plasmons in graphene nanostructures", Nature Photonics, 7, pp.394–399, (2013)
- Wenjuan Zhu, Tony Low, Damon B. Farmer, Keith Jenkins, Bruce Ek, and Phaedon Avouris, “Effect of dual gate control on the alternating current performance of graphene radio frequency device”, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 044307 (2013)
- Marcus Freitag, Tony Low, Wenjuan Zhu, Hugen Yan, Fengnian Xia, Phaedon Avouris, "Photocurrent in graphene harnessed by tunable intrinsic plasmons", Nature Communications, Vol. 4, Article number:1951, (2013).
- Wenjuan Zhu, Damon Farmer, Keith Jenkins, Bruce Ek, Satoshi Oida, Xuesong Li, Jim Bucchignano, Simon Dawes, Elizabeth A. Duch, and Phaedon Avouris, “Graphene radio frequency devices on flexible substrate”, Appl. Phys. Lett. Vol. 102, 233102 (2013)
- Wenjuan Zhu, Tony Low, Vasili Perebeinos, Ageeth A. Bol, Yu Zhu, Hugen Yan, Jerry Tersoff, Phaedon Avouris, “Structure and electronic transport in graphene wrinkles”, Nano Letters, Vol. 12, pp 3431–3436, (2012)
- Hugen Yan, Xuesong Li, Bhupesh Chandra, George Tulevski, Yanqing Wu, Marcus Freitag, Wenjuan Zhu, Phaedon Avouris, Fengnian Xia , “Tunable infrared plasmonic devices using graphene/insulator stacks”, Nature Nanotechnology 7, 330–334 (2012)
- Yanqing Wu, Damon B Farmer, Wenjuan Zhu, Shu-Jen Han, Christos D Dimitrakopoulos, Ageeth A Bol, Phaedon Avouris, Yu-Ming Lin, “Three-terminal graphene negative differential resistance devices”, ACS Nano, 6, pp 2610–2616, (2012)
- Hugen Yan, Zhiqiang Li, Xuesong Li, Wenjuan Zhu, Phaedon Avouris, Fengnian Xia, “Infrared spectroscopy of tunable dirac terahertz magneto-plasmons in graphene”, Nano Letters, 12, pp 3766–3771, (2012)
- Ching-Tzu Chen, Tony Low, Hsin-Ying Chiu and Wenjuan Zhu, “Graphene-Side-Gate Engineering”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 33, No.3, pp. 330, March 2012
- Yanqing Wu, Keith A Jenkins, Alberto Valdes-Garcia, Damon B Farmer, Yu Zhu, Ageeth A Bol, Christos Dimitrakopoulos, Wenjuan Zhu, Fengnian Xia, Phaedon Avouris, Yu-Ming Lin, “State-of-the-art graphene high-frequency electronics”, Nano Letters, 12, pp 3062–3067, (2012)
- Wenjuan Zhu, C. Dimitrakopoulos, M. Freitag and Ph. Avouris, “Layer Number Determination and Thickness-dependent Properties of Graphene Grown on SiC”, IEEE Transactions of nanotechnology, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp.1196, (2011).
- Hugen Yan, Fengnian Xia, Wenjuan Zhu, Marcus Freitag, Christos Dimitrakopoulos, Ageeth A. Bol, George Tulevski, and Phaedon Avouris, “Infrared Spectroscopy of Wafer-Scale Graphene”, ACS Nano, Vol. 5, No.12, pp 9854, (2011)
- Wenjuan Zhu, D. Neumayer, V. Perebeinos, and Ph. Avouris, “Silicon Nitride Gate Dielectrics and Band Gap Engineering in Graphene Layers”, Nano Letters, Vol. 10, pp. 3572, (2010).
- Y.-M. Lin, C. Dimitrakopoulos, D. B. Farmer, S-J. Han, Y. Wu, Wenjuan Zhu, D. K. Gaskill, J. L. Tedesco, R.L. Myers-Ward, C.R. Eddy, Jr., Alfred Grill, and Ph. Avouris, “Multicarrier transport in epitaxial multilayer graphene”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 97, 112107, (2010).
- Wenjuan Zhu, V. Perebeinos, M. Freitag and Ph. Avouris, “Carrier scattering, mobilities, and electrostatic potential in monolayer, bilayer, and trilayer graphene”, Physics Review B, Vol. 80, 235402, (2009)
- W. J. Zhu and T.P. Ma, “Temperature dependence of channel mobility in HfO2-gated NMOSFETs”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 89- 91, (2004).
- W.J. Zhu, J.P. Han, and T.P. Ma, “Mobility Measurement and Degradation Mechanisms of MOSFETs MadeWith Ultrathin High-k Dielectrics”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 51, No.1, pp.98- 105, (2004).
- Y. Yang, W. J. Zhu, T.P Ma and S. Stemmer, “High-temperature phase stability of hafnium aluminate films for alternative gate dielectrics”, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 95, No.7, pp.3772-3777, (2004)
- W.J. Zhu, T.P. Ma, T. Tamagawa, J. Kim and Y.Di, “Current Transport in Metal/Hafnium Oxide/Silicon Structure”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 23, No.2, pp.97-99, (2002).
- Min She Tsu-Jae King Chenming Hu Wenjuan Zhu, Zhijiong Luo Jin-Ping Han Tso-Ping Ma, “JVD silicon nitride as tunnel dielectric in p-channel flash memory”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 23, Issue: 2, pp. 91-93, (2002)
- W.J. Zhu, S. Zafar, T. Tamagawa, and T.P. Ma, “Charge trapping in ultra-thin hafnium oxide”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 23, No.10, pp.597-599, (2002).
- W.J. Zhu, T. Tamagawa, M. Gibson, T. Furukawa and T.P. Ma, “Effect of Al inclusion in HfO2 on the physical and electrical properties of the dielectrics”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 23, No.11, pp. 649- 651, (2002).
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Graphene-based efuse device” (method), U.S. Patent US 8,735,242 B2, granted in May 27, 2014
- Wenjuan Zhu, Yanqing Wu, Phaedon Avouris, “Graphene Devices and Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors in 3D Hybrid Integrated Circuits”, U.S. Patent US 8,748,871 B2, granted in Jun 10, 2014
- Wenjuan Zhu, Yanqing Wu, Jin Cai, “Graphene pressure sensors”, U.S. Patent US 8852985 B2, granted in Oct. 7, 2014
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Graphene-based efuse device”, U.S. Patent 8,598,634 B1, granted in Dec. 3, 2013.
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Graphene-based non-volatile memory” (method), U.S. Patent 8,557,686 B1, granted in Oct. 15,2013
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Nano-devices formed with suspended graphene membrane” (method), U.S. Patent US8569089B2, granted in Oct. 29, 2013.
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Graphene-based non-volatile memory” (structure), U.S. Patent US8519450 B1, granted in Aug. 27, 2013.
- Wenjuan Zhu, Deborah A Neumayer, Phaedon Avouris, “Nitride gate dielectric for graphene MOSFET”, U.S. Patent US 8,530,886 B2, granted in September 10, 2013
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Nano-devices formed with suspended graphene membrane” (structure), U.S. Patent US8564027B2, granted in Oct. 22, 2013
- Wenjuan Zhu, “Structure and method of forming buried-channel graphene field effect device”, U.S. Patent US8101474B2, granted in January 24, 2012
- Huilong Zhu, Wenjuan Zhu, Zhijiong Luo, “Forming silicided gate and contacts from polysilicon germanium and structure formed”, U.S. Patent US7718513 B2, granted in May 18, 2010
- Huilong Zhu, Mahender Kumar, Dan M. Mocuta, Ravikumar Ramachandran, Wenjuan Zhu, “Structure and method for manufacturing device with ultra-thin SOI at the tip of a V-shape channel”, U.S. Patent 7528027 B1, granted in May 5, 2009
- Huilong Zhu, Ravikumar Ramachandran, Effendi Leobandung, Mahender Kumar, Wenjuan Zhu, Christine Norris, “Field effect device including inverted V shaped channel re-gion and method for fabrication thereof”, U.S. Patent US7485510B2, granted in February 3, 2009
- Huilong Zhu, Ravikumar Ramachandran, Effendi Leobandung, Mahender Kumar, Wenjuan Zhu, Christine Norris, “Semiconductor structure and manufacturing method thereof”, China Patent CN100568531C, granted in December 9, 2009.
- Wenjuan Zhu, Michael P. Chudzik, Oleg Gluschenkov, Dae-Gyu Park, Akihisa Sekiguchi, “Semiconductor structure”, China Patent CN100550422C, granted in October 14, 2009
- Wenjuan Zhu, Michael P. Chudzik, Oleg Gluschenkov, Dae-Gyu Park, Akihisa Sekiguchi, “Method of forming an ultra-thin HfSiO metal silicate film for high performance CMOS applications and semiconductor structure formed in said method”, U.S. Patent 7504700 B2, granted in March 17, 2009
Conferences Organized or Chaired
- Technical program committee and session chair for 18th Canadian Semiconductor Science & Technology Conference, 2017
- Technical program committee for 48th IEEE Semiconductor Interface Specialists Conference, 2017
- Technical program committee and session chair for 47th IEEE Semiconductor Interface Specialists Conference, 2016
- Session chair for America Physical Society (APS) meeting, 2016;
- Session chair for 46th IEEE Semiconductor Interface Specialists Conference, 2015;
- Organizer and session chair for America Physical Society (APS) meeting, 2015;
- Session chair for 46th IEEE Semiconductor Interface Specialists Conference, 2015;
- Organizing committee and session chair for SPIE Optics + Photonics meeting, 2015;
- Organizing committee members for 13th annual nanotechnology workshop, 2015;
- Organizing committee member for OSA Integrated Photonics Research (IPR) meeting, 2015.
- Session chair for America Physical Society (APS) meeting, 2014;
Other Scholarly Activities
- Panelist for ACS Petroleum Research Fund (2015)
- Panelist for Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong, 2016
- Panelist for ACS Petroleum Research Fund (2016)
- Panelist for National Science Foundation (2016)
- Panelist for National Science Foundation, 3 times (2017)
- Panelist for National Science Foundation, (2018)
- IBM Faculty Award (2018)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2017)
- IBM Research's 2014 Pat Goldberg Memorial Best Paper Award (2014)
- Invention achieve high value award at IBM (2013)
- Outstanding Technical Achievement Award at IBM (2008)
- Bravo Awards at IBM (2007)
- Bravo Awards at IBM (2006)
- Invention Achievement Awards at IBM (2005-2013)
- Henry Prentiss Becton Graduate Prize for exceptional achievement in research in Engineering and Applied Science at Yale University (2003)
- IEEE SISC Ed Nicollican Award for Best Student Paper (2002)
- ECE 340 - Semiconductor Electronics
- ECE 396 - Honors Project
- ECE 397 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 441 - Physcs & Modeling Semicond Dev
- ECE 496 - Senior Research Project
- ECE 499 - Senior Thesis
- ECE 596 - Master's Project
- ECE 597 - Individual Study in ECE
- ECE 599 - Thesis Research