- Food Science & Human Nutrition
- B. S. Biochemical Engineering, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico.
- Master of Science in Food Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Ph.D. University of Illinois-1989
Dr. Padua received a B.S. in Biochemical Engineering from the National Polytechnic Institute in Mexico City. She became interested in food science while working as a research assistant in a project dedicated to the re-engineering of tortilla flour production starting from high lysine corn. She later obtained her M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Food Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Padua joined the UIUC faculty in 1996. Her research interests focus on the structure and properties of novel bioderived materials for food, agricultural, and biomedical uses. She has published extensively in this area and has patented her results. Her work has been supported by federal agencies and industry groups. She serves on the editorial board of Journal of Food Process Engineering.
Other Professional Activities
- George, E., Given, P.S., Grover, J.A., Guardiola, L., Padua, G.W., Wang, Y. 2011. Methods of flavor encapsulation and matrix-assisted concentration of aqueous foods and products produced therefrom. U.S. Patent Application Publication. No. US 2011/0189353, Aug. 4, 2011. Assignees: Frito-Lay North America Inc. and the University of Illinois.
- Padua, G.W., Ha, T.T., and Rakotonirainy, A. 2003. Method of Manufacturing Improved Corn Zein Resin Films and Articles Prepared Therefrom.â€ U.S. Patent No. 6,635,206.
- FSHN 460 - Food Processing Engineering
- FSHN 595 - Advance Food Processing
- Food Materials Science; Biopolymers; Protein self-assembly; Zein properties and utilization Her research interests include the characterization and properties of nano- and microscale protein self-assembled structures and their applications in food, agricultural, and biomedical fields. She also works in novel processing methods for the concentration and stabilization of liquid foods.
Chapters in Books
- Padua, G.W. 2012 Nanocomposites. Methods in â€™Nano Science and Technology Research in Foods and Bioproductsâ€™ Eds. G. Padua and Q. Wang. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0813817315,descCd-buy.html
- Padua, G.W. 2012 Material Components for Nanostructures.Methods in â€™Nano Science and Technology Research in Foods and Bioproductsâ€™ Eds. G. Padua and Q. Wang. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0813817315,descCd-buy.html
- Padua, G.W. and Wang, Q. 2000. Formation and Properties of Corn Zein Films and Coatings. In Protein-Based Films and Coatings A. Gennadios (Ed). Technomic Publishing Company, Inc., Boca Raton, FL. pp. 43-67.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wang, Y., Padua G.W. 2012. Nanoscale characterization of zein self-assembly. Langmuir. 28 (5), pp 2429â€“2435.
- Nonthanum, P., Lee, Y., Padua, G.W. 2012. Effect of Î³-Zein on the Rheological Behavior of Concentrated Zein Solutions. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60 (7)1742â€“1747.
- Wang, Y., Padua G.W. 2010. Formation of zein microphases in ethanol-water. Langmuir 26(15)12897-12901.
- Arora, A., Padua G.W. 2010. Review: Nanocomposites in Food Packaging J. Food Sci. 1: R43-49.
- Wang, Y., Padua, G.W. 2010. Structure characterization of films from drying oils cured under infrared light. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 115(5):2565-2572.
- Wang, Y., Wang Q, Artz, W., Padua G.W. 2008. Fourier transform infrared spectra of drying oils treated by irradiation J. Agric. Food Chem. 56(9): 3043-3048.
- Wang, Q., Yin, L., Padua, G.W. 2008 Effect of hydrophilic and lipophilic compounds on zein microstructures. Food Biophysics 3:174â€“181.
- Wang, Q., Xian W., Li S., Liu, C., Padua, G.W. 2008. Zein Adsorption and Cell Growth of Patterned Hydrophilic/Hydrophobic Surfaces. Acta Biomateriali
- Wang, Q., Yin L., Padua, G.W., 2008. Controlled Self-Organization of Zein Teriary Micro and Nanostructure. Food Biophysics.
- Wang, Y., ARtz W., Padua G.W. 2008. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectra of Drying Oils Treated by Irradiation. J. Agric. Food Chem.
Other Scholarly Activities
- 2011 Processing and characterization of nanostructured food materials. IFT Symposium â€œInspiration from Nanoscale Food Science and Engineeringâ€. IFT Annual Meeting. New Orleans, LA. June 12th.
- 2011 Protein-based nanostructured materials. Food Nanotechnology Workshop Purdue University, Oct. 25-26, 2011.
- 2010 â€œZein nanocomposites for agricultural applicationsâ€. Midwest Biopolymers and Biocomposites Workshop. May 11, 2010, Ames, IA.
- 2010 â€œSelf-assembly properties of zein systemsâ€. Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University. March 10, 2110, Ames, IA.
- 2010 â€œMicrostructure of self-assembled zein-based materials .â€ Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois. February 26, 2010, Urbana, IL.
- 2009 â€œSelf-assembled zein microphasesâ€. Department of Food Science, Rutgers University. November 23, 2009, New Brunswick, NJ.
- 2009 â€œNanocomposite Materials for Food Packaging Applicationsâ€. IFT Annual Meeting. Symposium on â€œEmerging research: Nanoscale food science, engineering and technology.â€ June 7, 2009, Anaheim, CA.
- 2007 â€œZein as a building block for nanoscale structuresâ€. CNST Seminar Series Fall 07. Urbana, IL November 28, 2007
- 2007 â€œBio-polymers from the Ethanol Industryâ€. Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Forum Ottawa, Ontario, October 29-30, 2007
- 2007 â€œControlled Self-Organization of Zein Nanostructuresâ€. USDA/CSREES NRI 75.0 Awardeesâ€™ Meeting. Davis, CA September 20, 2007
- 2007 â€œControlled Self-Organization of Zein Nanostructures for Encapsulation of Active Food Ingresientsâ€ ACS National Meeting. Micro/Nano Encapsulation of Active Food Ingredients. Chicago, IL March 27, 2007.
- 2007 â€œZein as a polymeric materialâ€. Follow-up to the MOU between the Province of Ontario & State of Illinois. January 22, 2007
- 2006 â€œZein Nanofabricated Biomaterials for Tissue Scaffoldingâ€ USDA/CSREES and IFT International Food Nanotechnology Conference. June 28-29, 2006 Orlando, FL
- FSHN 260 - Raw Materials for Processing
- FSHN 563 - Food Materials Science
- FSHN 593 - Seminar in Foods and Nutrition
- FSHN 595 - Food Material Science
- FSHN 597 - Graduate Seminar
- FSHN 598 - Advanced Special Problems