MNTL Cleanroom Hours
MAIN HOURS: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM
Engineering staff are available for questions and troubleshooting
BUDDY SYSTEM HOURS: Mon-Fri 5-10PM, Sat-Sun 8AM-5PM
Engineering staff not available
MNTL Facility staff not on site
Students must arrange to be accompanied in the lab by another student using the buddy system. The buddy system means you may not be in the cleanroom alone. You must have a “buddy” who comes in with you, checks on your wellbeing while in the cleanroom, and leaves with you. If you are in the cleanroom during buddy system hours, you need to be able to tell people who your buddy is, and where your buddy is. If you violate the buddy system, you will be at risk of losing access during buddy system hours.
MNTL has a co-op system to match up researchers who wish to use the cleanroom during Buddy System hours. To join the co-op system, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
MNTL CLEANROOM CLOSED: Mon-Fri 10PM-8AM, Sat-Sun 5PM-8AM
No user will be allowed to work in the cleanroom
SPECIAL OCCASIONS There will be occasions (due to holidays, illness, or vacations) that the cleanroom will be closed or Buddy System Hours will be in place of normal hours. We will announce those circumstances with as much advance warning as possible to accommodate your research.
MNTL Buddy System Policy
Any activity in the cleanrooms during Buddy System Hours requires:
- A MINIMUM of TWO authorized users (“2 buddies”) present in the cleanrooms at all times.
- The operation of any Hazardous Equipment requires filling out and submitting the web-based Tool Use Notification Form prior to use. Hazardous Equipment is defined as any tool that requires the use of a CDO box during operation.
- The operation of ALL hazardous equipment must be HALTED if an alarm condition occurs. If a dangerous condition exists, evacuate the cleanrooms immediately.
- Users of hazardous equipment located in Labs 218, 220, 222, 228, and 230 should always inform their buddies of their location.
If these conditions cannot be met, you are prohibited working in the cleanrooms during BUDDY SYSTEM HOURS (Mon-Fri 5pm-10PM, Sat-Sun 8AM-5PM).
Violations of the MNTL Cleanroom Buddy Policy are determined automatically by the same program that monitors cleanroom entries and exits. Violations generate e-mail notifications which are sent to the violator and his or her advisor.
Progression of violations of the buddy system policy may include the following:
- 1st violation: the violator will receive a warning.
- 2nd violation: an immediate two-week suspension from the cleanrooms.
- 3rd violation: an immediate four-week suspension from the cleanrooms.
Subsequent violations will result in permanent suspension from the lab. The possibility of re-admittance will be contingent upon a determination made by MNTL administrators after consultation with the violator and his or her advisor.
Hazardous Equipment Operation
Operation of any hazardous equipment outside of MAIN HOURS: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM is NOT recommended . If you choose to do so, please be especially careful and follow the above regulations.
The following operations are NOT permitted except during MAIN HOURS: Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM : Toxic gas cylinder changes Maintenance operations on materials growth chambers
For situations that require medical assistance (Emergency), call 9-911.
For non-life threatening hazardous situations (Non-Emergency), call the Division of Public Safety: 333-1216.