Primary Research Area
- M/NEMS and Integrated Systems
- PhD, 1992, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- MSEE, 1989, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- BSEE, 1987, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX.
Rashid Bashir completed his Ph.D. from Purdue University in Oct. 1992. From Oct. 1992 to Oct. 1998, he worked at National Semiconductor in the Analog/Mixed Signal Process Technology Development Group, where he was promoted to Sr. Engineering Manager. At National Semiconductor, he led the development and commercialization of 4 analog semiconductor process technologies. He joined Purdue University in Oct. 1998 as an Assistant Professor and was later promoted to Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and a Courtesy Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. In Oct. 2007, he joined the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as the Abel Bliss Professor of Engineering, and Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering & Bioengineering. He was the Director of the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (mntl.illinois.edu), a campus-wide clean room facility, from Oct. 2007 to Aug. 2013 and the Co-Director of the campus-wide Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology (www.cnst.illinois.edu), a "collaboratory" aimed at facilitating center grants and large initiatives around campus in the area of nanotechnology. In Oct. 2016, he was named the Grainger Distinguished Chair in Engineering. From Aug. 2013 to Aug 2017, he was the head of the Bioengineering Department. From 2017 to 2018 he was the Executive Associate Dean and the Chief Diversity Officer of the new Carle-Illinois "Engineering-Based" College of Medicine at UIUC. In Nov 2018, he was appointed as the 15th Dean of the College Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The College was named Grainger College of Engineering in honor of W. W. Grainger in 2019.
He has authored or co-authored over 250 journal papers, over 200 conference papers and conference abstracts, and over 100 invited talks, and has been granted 45 patents. He is a fellow of 8 international professional societies (IEEE, AIMBE, AAAS, APS, IAMBE, RSC, BMES, and NAI). His research interests include bionanotechnology, BioMEMS, lab on a chip, interfacing of biology and engineering from the molecular to the tissue scale, and applications of semiconductor fabrication to biomedical engineering, all applied to solving biomedical problems. Prof. Bashir's key technical contributions and achievements lie in the area of BioMEMS and biomedical nanotechnology, especially in the use of electrical- or mechanical-based label-free methods for detection of biological entities on a chip. In addition, he has also made key contributions to 3-D fabrication methods that can be used for tissue engineering and development of cellular systems. He has been involved in 3 startups that have licensed his technologies (BioVitesse, Inc., Daktari Diagnostics, and, most recently, Prenosis, Inc.).
In addition to leading his own research group, he was the PI on an NSF IGERT on Cellular and Molecular Mechanics and Bionanotechnology (2009-2016) and PI on an NIH Training Grant on Cancer Nanotechnology (2009-2016). He is also the campus lead and Co-PI on an NSF Science and Technology Center (STC) on Emergent Behavior of Integrated Cellular Systems (headquartered at MIT, with partners at Georgia Tech and UIUC) (2009-2015, and renewed for another 5 years 2015-2020). He was also Deputy Director of the NSF Nanobio Node of the NcN (Network for Computational Nanotechnology). He also served on the external advisory board of the NIH-funded P41 BioMEMS Resource Center at Harvard/MGH and the NIH-funded Center for Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence at Stanford University, and on various editorial boards.
He holds the Grainger Distinguished Chair in Engineering, tenured appointment in bioengineering, and affiliate appointments in electrical and computer engineering, mechanical science and engineering, materials science and engineering, and molecular and integrative physiology.
- Oct. 2007 – Present Abel Bliss Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering & Bioengineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Oct. 2007 - Aug 2013 Director, Micro and Nano Technology Laboratory, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- Oct. 2007 - Co-Director (along with Provost Ilesanmi Adesida) of the Center of Nanoscale Science aqnd Technology (CNST) at the University of Illinois.
- May 2006 - May 2008 Visiting Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School.
- Nov. 2005 - Oct 2007 Courtesy Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
- Aug. 2005 - Oct 2007 Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
- Sept. 2004 - Oct 2007 Scientific Director - Bionanotechnology, Bindley Biosciences Center/Birck Nanotechnology Center, Discovery Park, Purdue University. W. Lafayette, IN
- Aug. 2001 - Aug 2005 Associate Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
- July 2000 - Oct 2007 Courtesy Professor, Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
- Oct. 1998 - Aug. 2001 Assistant Professor, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN.
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Feb 2002 - Present, Co-founder, VP Technology Development, BioVitesse, Inc.
- Aug. 1997 - Oct. 1998. Sr. Engineering Manager, Process Technology Dev., May 1995 - Aug. 1997 Engineering Manager, Process Technology Dev., Jan. 1995 - May 1995 Staff Process Engineer, Process Technology Dev., Oct. 1992 - Dec. 1994 Sr. Process Engineer, Process Technology Dev., National Semiconductor, Santa Clara, CA.
Major Consulting Activities
- Jan 2012-present, Consultant, Oxford Nanopore Technologies
- Aug 2011-present, Consultant, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation
- May 1999 - 2001, Consultant with National Semiconductor Corp. and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to transfer a High Voltage Trench Isolated Process Technology.
I am interested in teaching courses in micro-fabrication, semiconductor processing, MEMS, Nanotechnology, and especially interdisciplinary courses at the interface of nanotechnology, biology, and chemistry.
My research interests include BioMEMS, Lab on a chip, nano-biotechnology, interfacing biology and engineering from molecular to tissue scale, and applications of semiconductor fabrication to biology, all applied to solve biomedical problems.
Post-Doctoral Research Opportunities
Looking for energetic post-docs interested in projects at the interface of nanotechnology, biology and medicine.
Graduate Research Opportunities
Looking for energetic students interested in projects at the interface of nanotechnology, biology and medicine.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
We are looking for undergraduate students interested in integrating Nanotechnology with Biotechnology for diagnostics, therapeutics, and tissue engineering.
- BioMEMS and Biosensors, BioNanotechnology, Nanomedicine, Applications of MEMS and nanotechnology in medical and biological problems, Multi scale tissue engineering.
- M/NEMS and Integrated Systems
- Nanomedicine and Bionanotechnology
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- BioMEMS and Biomedical Nanotechnology, Vol-4 Biomolecular Sensing, Processing and Analysis, Set: BioMEMS and Biomedical Nanotechnology, Bashir, Rashid; Wereley, Steve; Ferrari, Mauro (Eds.), 2006, Approx. 420 p., 110 illus., Hardcover, ISBN: 0-387-25566-4, Springer.
Chapters in Books
- S. M. Iqbal, R. Bashir, "Nanoelectronic-Based Detection for Biology and Medicine," In Handbook of Automation, (Ed. Shimon Y. Nof), Springer Publishers, 2008.
- S. Lee and R. Bashir, "Biological and Chemical-Mediated Self-Assembly of Artificial Micro and Nanostructures", in CRC Handbook of Nanoscience, Engineering, and Technology, 2nd Edition, edited by Goddard, Brenner, Iafrate, and Lyshevski. 2007.
- A. Gupta and R. Bashir, "Integrated Cantilever Based Biosensors for the Detection of Chemical and Biological Entities", in Nanotechnology in Biology and Medicine, CRC Press, Editor-in-Chief, Tuan Vo-Dinh, 2007.
- R. Gomez and R. Bashir, "Microscale Impedance-Based Detection of Bacterial Metabolism", in Encyclopedia of Rapid Microbiological Methods, Volume 3, Series Editor, Michael J. Miller, Davis Healthcare International Publishing (DHI), pp. 333-362. 2006.
- H. Li, R. Gomez, R. Bashir, "Integrated Microsystems for Cellular Analysis and Manipulation", in R. Bashir and Steve Wereley, Editors, Volume 4: "Biomolecular Sensing, Processing, and Analysis", Springer, 4 Volume Encyclepedia in BioMEMS and Biomedical Nanotechnology, 2006.
- R. Bashir, "Biologically Mediated Assembly of Artificial Micro and Nanostructures", CRC Handbook of Nanoscience, Engineering, and Technology, edited by Goddard, Brenner, Iafrate, and Lyshevski. Chapter 15, Page 1-28, 2003, CRC Press.
Selected Articles in Journals
- I. S. Park, K. Eom, T. J. Kwak, J. S. Son, W. J. Chang, T. Kwon, D. S. Yoon, R. Bashir, and S. W. Lee, “Microfluidic Multifunctional Probe Array Dielectrophoretic Force Spectroscopy with Wide Loading Rate,” ACS Nano, Vol 6, no. 10, 8665–8673, 2012.
- J. Go, P. R. Nair, B. Reddy Jr., B. Dorvel, R. Bashir, and M. A. Alam, “Coupled Heterogeneous ‘Nanowire-Nanoplate’ Planar Transistor Sensors for Giant (>10V/pH) Nernst Response”, Submitted to ACS Nano, 2012.
- K. Park, L. J. Millet, J. W. Shim, V. Solovyeva, R. Bashir, “Hydrodynamic loading and viscous damping due to patterned perforations on MEMS resonant structures”, Accepted in Applied Physics Letters, 2012.
- K. Park, N. Kim, D. T. Morisette, N. Aluru, and R. Bashir, “Resonant MEMS Mass Sensors for Measurement of Micro-droplet Evaporation”, Accepted, IEEE JMEMS, 2012.
- R. Bashir, “Nanobiosciences” Point of View Article, IEEE Proceedings, 2012.
- G. Credo, X., Su, D. Liu, K. Wu, O. Elibol, J. B. Reddy, T.-W. Tsai, B. Dorvel, J. Daniels, R. Bashir, M. Varma, “Specific detection of pyrophosphate from DNA polymerase reactions by chemically functionalized field-effect sensors”, Analyst, 2012, 137, 1351.
- J. H. Jeong, V. Chan, C. Cha, P. Zorlutuna, C. Dyck, K. Jimmy Hsia, R. Bashir, H. J. Kong, ““Living” Microvascular Stamp for Patterning of Functional Neovessels; Orchestrated Control of Matrix Property and Geometry”. Advanced Materials, Vol. 24, No. 1, January 3, 2012, Cover Article
- V. Chan, J. H. Jeong, P. Bajaj, M. Collens, T. Saif, H. J. Kong, R. Bashir, “Multi-Material Bio-Fabrication of Hydrogel Cantilevers and Actuators with Stereolithography”. Lab on Chip, 2012, 12, 88-98. Back Cover Article.
- B. M. Venkatesan, D. Estrada, S. Banerjee, X. Jin, V. E. Dorgan, M. Bae, N. Aluru, E. Pop, and R. Bashir, “Stacked Graphene-Al2O3 Nanopore Sensors for Sensitive Detection of DNA and DNA-Protein Complexes”. ACS Nano, Vol. 6, No. 1, 441–450, 2012.
- N. Watkins, D. Irimia, M. Toner, R. Bashir, ‘On a Chip”, in November/December 2011 issue of IEEE Pulse, A Magazine in the IEEE Engineering and Medicine Biology Society. Co-Guest Editors, R. Bashir, A. Khademhosseini, S. Sia.
- L. J. Millet, M. B. Collens, G. L. Perry, and R. Bashir, “Spatial distribution and analysis of neurons in culture”, Integrative Biology, DOI: 10.1039/c1ib00054c, 2011. Cover Article
- P. Bajaj, B. Reddy Jr., L. Millet, C. Wei, P. Zorlutuna, G. Bao, R. Bashir, “Patterning the differentiation of C2C12 skeletal myoblasts”, Integr. Biol., 2011, 3, 897–909. Inside Cover Article.
- E. Salm, Y-S. Liu, D. Marchwiany, D. T. Morisette, Y. He, L. Razouk. A. K. Bhunia, and R. Bashir, “Electrical Detection of dsDNA and Polymerase Chain Reaction Amplification“. Biomedical Microdevices, 2011, Volume 13, Number 6, Pages 973-982
- B. Murali Venkatesan, Rashid Bashir, “Nanopore Sensors for Nucleic Acid Analysis”, Nature Nanotechnology, 2011, 10.1038/nnano.2011.129
- P. Zorlutuna, J. H. Jeong, H. Kong, and R. Bashir, “3-Dimensional Polymer Microenvironments for Examining Spatial Cellular Interactions”, Advanced Functional Materials, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 3642–3651, Cover Article.
- M. Mir, Z. Wang, Z. Shen, M. Bednarz, R. Bashir, I. Golding, S. Prasanth, G. Popescu, “Optical Measurement of Cell Cycle Dependent Mass Growth”, PNAS, 2011, doi/10.1073/pnas.1100506108
- D. J. Liu, G. M. Credo, X. Sua, K. Wua, H. C. Lim, O. H. Elibol, R. Bashir, and M. Varma, “Surface Immobilizable Chelator for Label-free Electrical Detection of Pyrophosphate”. Chemical Communications, 10.1039/c1cc12073e, 2011.
- E. A. Lidstone, V. Chaudhery, A. Kohl, V. Chan, T.W. Jensen, L.B.Schook, R. Bashir, B. Cunningham, “Label-Free Imaging of Cell Attachment with Photonic Crystal Enhanced Microscopy”, Analyst, 2011, 136 (18), 3608 - 3615. Cover Article
- B. M. Venkatesan, J. Polans, J. Comer, S. Sridhar, D. Wendell, A. Aksimentiev, and R. Bashir, “Lipid Bilayer Coated Al2O3 Nanopore Sensors: Towards A Hybrid Biological Solid-State Nanopore”, Biomedical Microdevices, DOI: 10.1007/s10544-011-9537-3, 2011.
- X. Tang, P. Bajaj, R. Bashir, T. Saif, “How far cardiac cells can see each other mechanically”, Soft Matter, 2011, 7, 6151-6158, Cover Article
- A. D. Radadia, C. J. Stavis, R. Carr, H. Zeng, W. King, J. A. Carlisle, A. Aksimentiev, R. J. Hamers, R. Bashir, “Ultrananocrystalline diamond thin films as stable antibody tethering surfaces for bacterial capture”, Advanced Functional Materials, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 1040–1050. Cover Article
- Zhuo Wang, Larry Millet, Vincent Chan, Huafeng Ding, Martha U. Gillette, Rashid Bashir and Gabriel Popescu, "Label-free intracellular transport measured by spatial light interference microscopy", J. Biomed. Opt. 16, 026019 (Feb 28, 2011); doi:10.1117/1.3549204. Also selected for Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research.
- Nicholas N. Watkins, Supriya Sridhar, Xuanhong Cheng, Mehmet Toner, William Rodriguez, and Rashid Bashir, “A microfabricated electrical differential counter for the selective enumeration of CD4+ T lymphocytes”, Lab on Chip, DOI: 10.1039/c0lc00556h, 2011. Cover Article
- J. B. Reddy, Jr., Brian R. Dorvel, J. Go, P. Nair, O. H. Elibol, G. M. Credo, J. S. Daniels, E. K.C. Chow, M. Madoo, M. A. Alam, and R. Bashir, “Fabrication and Characterization of Nanowire and Nanoplate Field Effect pH Sensors”, Biomed Microdevices, Vol.13, No. 2, Pages 335-344, 2011.
- J. B. Reddy, Jr., O. H. Elibol, Bobby Reddy, Jr., O. H. Elibol, P. R. Nair, B. R. Dorvel, F. Butler, Z. Ahsan, D. E. Bergstrom, M. A. Alam, and R. Bashir “Localized Heating on Silicon Field Effect Transistors: Bio-Chemical Reactions and Device Optimization”, Anal. Chem. 2011, 83, 888–895.
- Millet L.J., Park K., Watkins N.N., Hsia K.J., Bashir R. 2011, “Separating Beads and Cells in Multi-channel Microfluidic Devices Using Dielectrophoresis and Laminar Flow”, JoVE, 2011. 48. http://www.jove.com/index/Details.stp?ID=2545, doi: 10.3791/2545
- K. Park, L. Millet, J. Huan, N. Kim, X. Jin. G. Popescu, N. Aluru, K. J. Hsia, R. Bashir, “Measurement of Adherent Cell Mass and Growth’, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, November 30, 2010, vol. 107, no. 48, 20691–20696.
- P. Bajaj, X. Tang, T. Saif, R. Bashir, “Stiffness of the Substrate Influences the Phenotype of Embryonic Chicken Cardiac Myocytes”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research-A, 11 Oct 2010, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.32951.
- N. Privorotskaya, H. Zeng, J. A. Carlisle, R. Bashir, and W. P. King, “Piezoresistive Microcantilevers from Ultrananocrystalline Diamond”, IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromchanical Systems, Vol. 19, No. 5, October 2010, pp. 1234-1242
- C. Stavis, T. L. Clare, J. E. Butler, A. D. Radadia, R. Carr, H. Zeng, W. King, J. A. Carlisle, A. Aksimentiev, R. Bashir, and R. J. Hamers,”Surface functionalization of thin-film diamond for highly stable and selective biological interfaces”, Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, 2010. September 30, 2010 (10.1073/pnas.1006660107).
- A.K.M. Newaz, W.-J. Chang, K.D. Wallace, L.C. Edge,S.A.Wickline, R. Bashir, A. M. Gilbertson, L.F. Cohen, and S.A. Solin, “A ballistic Inverse-EOC nanosensor for sub-wavelength high sensitivity room temperature photon detection” Applied Physics Letters, 97, 082105, 2010.
- V. Chan, P. Zorlutuna, J. H. Jeong, H. Kong, R. Bashir, “Three-Dimensional Photopatterning of Hydrogels using Stereolithography for Cell Encapsulation with Long-Term Viability”, Lab on Chip, DOI: 10.1039/c004285d, 2010. Back Cover Article
- W. J. Chang*, H.-J. Suk*, A. K. M. Newaz, S. Wickline, S. A. Solin, R. Bashir, “Fluidic Characterization of electric field sensitivity of Ti-GaAs Schottky junction gated field effect biosensors”, Biomedical Microdevices, (2010) 12:849–854, *Equal contribution
- N. Privorotskaya*, Y. Liu*, J. Lee, H. Zeng, J. A. Carlisle, R. Bashir, and W. P. King, “Silicon-Diamond Microcantilever Heaters for Rapid Thermal Lysing of Cells”, Lab Chip, 2010, 10, 1135–1141. Back Cover Article, * equal contribution
- B. M. Venkatesan, A.B. Shah, J.M. Zuo, and R. Bashir, “DNA Sensing using Nano-crystalline Surface Enhanced Al2O3 Nanopore Sensors”, Advanced Functional Materials, Volume 20, Issue 8, 1266-1275, 2010. Cover Article
- B. Dorvel, B. Reddy Jr., I. Block, P. Mathias, S. E. Clare, B. Cunningham, D. E. Bergstrom, R. Bashir, “Vapor Phase Deposition of Monofunctional Alkoxysilanes for Sub-Nanometer Level Biointerfacing”, Advanced Functional Materials, 20, 1, January 8, 2010, 87-95, 2010. Inside Cover Article.
- N. Watkins, B. M. Venkatesan, M. Toner, W. Rodriguez, R. Bashir, “A Robust Electrical MicroCytometer with 3-Dimensional Hydrofocusing or Portable Blood Analysis”, Lab Chip, 2009, 9, 3177 - 3184. Cover Article.
- Sang Hyeon Baek, Woo Jin Chang, Ju Yeoul Baek, Dae Sung Yoon, Rashid Bashir, Sang Woo Lee, “A ‘dielectrophoretic force microscopy’ technique for measurement of chemical and biological interactions”, Analytical Chemistry, 2009, 81, 7737–7742. Cover Article.
- Oguz H. Elibol, Bobby Reddy, Jr., Pradeep R. Nair, Brian Dorvel, Felice Butler, Zahab Ahsan, Donald E. Bergstrom, Muhammad A. Alam, and Rashid Bashir, “Localized Heating on Silicon Field Effect Transistors: Device Fabrication and Temperature Measurements in Fluid”, Lab on Chip, 2009, 9, 2789–2795. Back Cover Article.
- Ian D. Block, Patrick C. Mathias, Mikhil Ganesh, Sarah I. Jones, Brian R. Dorvel, Vikram Chaudhery, Lila O. Vodkin, Rashid Bashir, and Brian T. Cunningham, “A Detection Instrument for Enhanced-Fluorescence and Label-Free Imaging on Photonic Crystal Surfaces”, Optics Express, Vol. 17, Issue 15, pp. 13222-13235.
- A.M. Gilbertson, A.K.M. Newaz, Woo-Jin Chang, R. Bashir, S.A. Solin, and L.F. Cohen, “Dimensional crossover and weak localization in ultra thin n-GaAs films”, Applied Physics Letters, 95, 012113, 2009.
- K. Park, H. Suk, D. Akin and R. Bashir “Dielectrophoretic-based cell manipulation using electrodes on reusable printed circuit board”, Lab Chip, 2009, 9, 2224 - 2229. Back Cover Article.
- O. K. Koo, S. Shuaib, Y. Liu, M. R. Ladisch, R. Bashir, and A. K. Bhunia, “Targeted Capture of Pathogenic Bacteria using Mammalian Cell Receptor on Microfluidic Chip”, Accepted in Analytical Chemistry, 2009
- B. M. Venkatesan, B. Dorvel, S. Yemenicioglu, and R. Bashir, “Fabrication and characterization of low stress, mechanically robust Al2O3 nanopores for the electronic detection of biomolecules”, Advanced Materials, 2009, Volume 21, Issue 27 , Pages 2771 – 2776. Cover Article
- Jeong-Mi Moon, Demir Akin, Yi Xuan, Peide Ye, Peixuan Guo, Rashid Bashir, “Capture and alignment of phi29 viral particles in sub-40 nanometer porous alumina membranes”, Biomedical Microdevices, 11:1 February 2009.
- Yi-Shao Liu, Rashid Bashir, "Electrical Detection of DNA Molecules", BMES Bulletin, VOL. 32, No. 3, 2008, pp. 14-15.
- B. M. Venkatesan, O. H. Elibol, B. Dorvel, K. Park, R. Bashir, “Research Highlights” in News and Views Section, Nanomedicine, 3(5), 613-615, 2008.
- Shantanu Bhattacharya, Deb Gangopadhyay, Nripen Chanda, Sheila A. Grant, Yishao Liu, Paul R Sharp, Rashid Bashir, Keshab Gangopadhyay, Shubhra Gangopadhyay, “Low voltage capillary electrophoresis using high conductivity agarose nano-platinum composites”, Sensor Letters, Vol.6, 1–6, 2008.
- Shantanu Bhattacharya, Nripen Chanda, Yishao Liu, Keshab Gangopadhyay, Rashid Bashir, Paul R. Sharp, and Shubhra Gangopadhyay, “Enhanced DNA Separation Rates in Nano-Platinum Doped Agarose”, Journal of Nanobiosciences, Vol. 2, pp1-4, 2008.
- O. Elibol, J. Reddy, R. Bashir, “Localized heating and thermal characterization of high electrical resistivity silicon-on-insulator sensors using nematic liquid crystals”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol.93, Issue 13, 2008.
- Joonhyung Lee, Jaesung Jang, Demir Akin, Cagri A. Savran, and Rashid Bashir , “Real-time Detection of Air-borne Viruses on a Mass-sensitive Device”, Applied Physics Letters. 93, 013901. 2008
- Liju Yang, Padmapriya P Banada, Arun K Bhunia and Rashid Bashir, “Effects of Dielectrophoresis on the Immuno-reactivity, the Growth Profile, and the Viability of Listeria monocytogenes, Journal of Biological Engineering, 2008, 2:6 doi:10.1186/1754-1611-2-6.
- O. Elibol, J. Reddy, R. Bashir, “Nanoscale thickness double-gated field effect silicon sensors for sensitive pH detection in fluid”, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 193904, 2008. Also selected for the May 15, 2008 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research
- K. Park, J. Jang, D. Akin, J. Lee, J. Sturgis, J. P. Robinson, D. Irimia, M. Toner, R. Bashir, “Concentration, Growth and Mass Measurements of Mammalian Cells on Silicon Cantilevers”, Lab. Chip., 2008, 8, 1034 – 1041. (Cover article and selected as a Hot Article for the RSC website).
- J. Jang, D.Akin, R. Bashir, “Effects of Inlet/Outlet Configurations on the Electrostatic Capture of Airborne Nanoparticles and Viruses for Cantilever Biosensors”, Meas. Sci. Technol. 19, 2008, 065204.
- Liju Yang, Rashid Bashir, “Electrical/ Electrochemical Impedance for Rapid Detection of Foodborne Pathogenic Bacteria”, Review Article, Biotechnology Progress, Biotechnology Advances 26 (2008) 135–150.
- Shantanu Bhattacharya, Shuaib Salamat, Dallas Morisette, Padmapriya Banada, Demir Akin, Yi-Shao Liu, Arun K Bhunia, Michael Ladisch, and Rashid Bashir, “PCR based-detection in a micro-fabricated platform”, Lab. Chip., 2008, 8, 1130 – 1136
- Y. Liu, P. P. Banada, S. Bhattacharya, A. K. Bhunia, and R. Bashir , “Electrical Characterization of DNA Molecules in Solution using Impedance Measurements”, Applied Physics Letters, 92, 143902, 2008. Also selected for the April 28, 2008 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- S. W. Lee, W. J. Chang, R, Bashir, “"Bottom-up" approach for implementing nano/microstructure using biological and chemical interactions”, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, Volume: 12, 185-199, 2007.
- G. Zeltzer, J. C. Randel, A. Gupta, R. Bashir, S.-H. Song and H. C. Manoharan, “Scanning optical homodyne detection of high-frequency picoscale resonances in cantilever and tuning fork sensors”, Applied Physics Letters, 91, 173124 , 2007.
- Mi-Ran Choi, Katie J. Stanton-Maxey, C. S. Levin, Rizia Bardhan, Demir Akin, Jennifer Sturgis, J. Paul Robinson, Rashid Bashir, Naomi J. Halas, and Susan E. Clare, “A cellular Trojan Horse for delivery of therapeutic nanoparticles into tumors”, Nanoletters, 7(12) pp 3759 – 3765, 2007.
- Kidong Park, Demir Akin, Rashid Bashir, "Electrical Capture and Lysing of Viruses in Silicon Nanoprobe Array", Biomedical Microdevices 9:6, December 2007.
- Piyush Bajaj, Amit Gupta, Demir Akin, Orlando Auciello, Rashid Bashir, "Characterization of Cell Growth on Ultrananocrystalline Diamond Thin-Films", Biomedical Microdevices, 9:6, December 2007.
- Rosangelly Flores-Perez, Amit K. Gupta, Rashid Bashir, Albena Ivanisevic, "Cantilever-Based Sensor for the Detection of Different Chromophore Isomers", Anal. Chem.; 2007, vol. 79, no12, pp. 4702-4708
- Demir Akin, Jennifer Sturgis, Kristin Burkholder, D. Sherman, S. Muhammad, Arun Bhunia, J. Paul Robinson, Rashid Bashir, "Bacterial Mediated Delivery of Nanoparticles in Cells", Nature Nanotechnology, 149, 441-449, 2007.
- Sang Woo Lee, Haibo Li, and Rashid Bashir, "Novel Dielectrophoretic Tweezers for Examining Particle-Surface Interactions within Microfluidic Devices", Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 223902, 28th May 2007. (also selected for June 11, 2007 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology)
- Xuanhong Cheng, Yi-Shao Liu, Utkan Demirci, Daniel Irimia, Liju Yang, Lee Zamir, William Rodriguez, Mehmet Toner, Rashid Bashir, "Electrical CD4 Counting for Management of HIV-infected Subjects," Special Issue on Cells and Tissue in Microsystems, Lab. Chip., 2007, 7, 746 - 755.
- S. Bhattacharya, J. Jang, L. Yang, D. Akin, and R. Bashir, "BioMEMS And Nanotechnology Based Approaches For Rapid Detection Of Biological Entities", (Invited Review) Journal of Rapid Methods & Automation in Microbiology 15. 2007. 1-32.
- Yi-Shao Liu, Tom M. Walter, Woo-Jin Chang, Kwan-Seop Lim, Liju Yang, Sang Woo Lee, Arthur Aronson, and Rashid Bashir, "Electrical Detection of Germination of Model Bacillus Anthracis Spores in Microfluidic Biochips", Lab. Chip., 2007, 7, 603 – 610
- Angelica P. Davila, Jaesung Jang, Amit Gupta, Tom Walter, Arthur Aronson, and Rashid Bashir, "Microresonator Mass Sensors for Detection of Bacillus Anthracis Sterne Spores in Air and Water", Biosensors & Bioelectronics, Volume 22, Issue 12, 15 June 2007, Pages 3028-3035.
- Samir Iqbal, Demir Akin, Rashid Bashir, "Solid State Nanopores with DNA Selectivity", Nature Nanotechnology, 2, 243 - 248, 01 Apr 2007.
- A. Gupta, P. Nair, D. Akin, S. Broyles, M. Ladisch, A. Alam, R. Bashir, "Anamolous Resonance in a Nanomechanical Biosensor", Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA. August 28, 2006, 103: 13362-13367.
- Tom T. Huang, David G. Taylor, Kwan Seop Lim, Miroslav Sedlak, Rashid Bashir, Nathan S. Mosier, and Michael R. Ladisch, "Surface Directed Boundary Flow in Microfluidic Channels", Langmuir, 2006; 22 (14); 6429-6437.
- H. Chang, M. Venkatesan, S. M. Iqbal, D. Peroulis, G. Andreadakis, F. Kosari, G. Vasmatzis, R. Bashir, "DNA Counterion Current and Saturation Examined by a Solid State Nanopore Sensor", Biomedical Microdevices, Volume 8, Number 3, September, 2006, Pages 263-269
- Jaesung Jang, Demir Akin, Kwan Seop Lim, Steven Broyles, Michael R. Ladisch, and Rashid Bashir, "Capture of Airborne Nanoparticles in Swirling Flows Using Non-Uniform Electrostatic Fields for Bio-Sensor Applications" Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Volume 115, Issue 1, 23 May 2006, Pages 189-197
- P. P. Banada, Y. Liu, L. Yang, R. Bashir, and A. K. Bhunia, "Performance evaluation of a low conductive Growth Medium for growth of bacteria including Listeria monocytogenes under normal and stress conditions", International Journal of Food Microbiology, Volume 111, Issue 1, 15 August 2006, Pages 12-20.
- L. Yang, P. Banada, M. R. Chatni, K, Lim, M. Ladisch, A. Bhunia, R. Bashir, "A MultiFunctional Micro-Fluidic System for Dielectrophoretic Concentration Coupled with Immuno-Capture of Low Number of Listeria monocytogenes", Lab Chip, 6, 896-905, 2006. (also selected as an article for the Chemical Biology Virtual Journal (www.rsc.org/chembiolvj))
- A. Ghafoor, D. Akin, R. Bashir, "The Delocalization of Vaccinia Genome and Core as Observed by Ex-Situ Atomic Force and Fluorescence Microscopy", Nanobiotechnology, 1, 4, 337-345, 2006.
- L. Johnson, A. Gupta, D. Akin, A. Ghafoor, R. Bashir, "Detection of Vaccinia Virus Mass using Micromechanical Cantilever Sensors", Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol 115/1 pp 189-197, 2006
- Kwan Seop Lim, Woo-Jin Chang, Yoon-Mo Koo, and Rashid Bashir, "Reliable Fabrication Method of Transferable Micron Scale Metal Pattern for Poly(dimethylsiloxane) Metallization", Lab. Chip., 1, 578 - 580, 2006.
- H. Chang, S. M. Iqbal., E. A. Stach, A. H. King, N. J. Zaluzec, R. Bashir, "Fabrication and Characterization of Solid State Nanopores using Field Emission Scanning Electron Beam", Applied Physics Letters, 88, 103109, 2006. Also published online in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, March 20, 2006.
- N. Z. Butt, A. M. Chang, H. Raza, R. Bashir, J. Liu, and D. L. Kwong, "Low frequency noise statistics for the breakdown characterization of ultrathin gate oxides", Applied Physics Letters, 88, 112901, 2006
- S. Lee, R. Bashir, "Dielectrophoresis and Chemically Mediated Assembly of three Terminal Silicon MOSFETS", Advanced Materials, 17, 2671-2677, 2005.
- L. Yang, P. P. Banada, Y. Liu, A. K. Bhunia, and R. Bashir, "Conductivity and pH Dual Detection of Growth Profile of Healthy and Stressed Listeria monocytogenes", Biotechnology & Bioengineering, 92, 6, 20 December 2005, 685-694.
- R. Gomez, D. Morrisette, R. Bashir, "Microfluidic BioElectronic Processors for Rapid Detection of Live Bacterial Cells", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 14, No. 4, Aug 2005, pp. 829-838.
- S. Iqbal, G. Balasubramaium, S. Ghosh, D. Bergstrom, R. Bashir, "Electrical Characterization of DNA Molecules in Nano-scale Gap Junctions", Applied Physics Letters, 86, 11th April, 2005. Also selected for the April 15, 2005 issue of Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research.
- H. Li, Y. Zheng, D. Akin, R. Bashir, "Characterization and Modeling of a Micro-Fluidic Dielectrophoresis Filter for Biological Species", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems. Vol. 14, No. 1, February 2005, pp. 105 - 111.
- A. Gupta, D. Akin, R. Bashir, "Detection of Bacterial Cells and Antibodies Using Surface Micromachined Thin Silicon Cantilever Resonators", Journal of Vaccum Science and Technology-B, Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures, November 2004, Volume 22, Issue 6, pp. 2785-2791.
- H. Li, R. Bashir, "On the Design and Optimization of Micro-Fluidic Dielectrophoretic Devices: A Dynamic Simulation Study", Biomedical Microdevices, 6:4, 289-295, 2004.
- R. Bashir, "BioMEMS: State of the Art in Detection and Future Prospects", Invited Paper in Advanced Drug Delivery Review, Special issue: Intelligent Therapeutics: Biomimetic Systems and Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery, Edited by N.A. Peppas, Vol 56/11 pp 1565-1586, 2004.
- H. Chang, F. Kosari, G. Andreakakis, M. A. Alam, G. Vasmatzis, R. Bashir, "DNA Mediated Fluctuations in Ionic Current through Silicon Oxide Nano-Channels", Nano Letters vol. 4, No. 8, 1551-1556, 2004.
- A. Gupta, D. Akin, R. Bashir, "Single virus particle mass detection using microresonators with nanoscale thickness", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, No. 11, pp. 1976-1978, 15th March 2004
- D. Akin, H. Li, R. Bashir, "Real-Time Virus Trapping and Fluorescent Imaging in Micro-fluidic Devices", Nano Letters, 4(2) pp 257 - 259, 2004
- Tom T. Huang, Woo-Jin Chang, Demir Akin, Rafael Gomez, Rashid Bashir, Nathan Mosier, And Michael R. Ladisch, "Fabrication Of Microfluidic Channels Using Microfiber With Poly(Dimethylsiloxane)", AICHE Journal, November 2003, Vol. 49, No. 11, pp. 2984-2987
- O. H. Elibol, D. Morisette, D. Akin, R. Bashir, "Integrated Nano-Scale Silicon Sensors Using Top-Down Fabrication", Applied Physics Letters. Volume 83, Issue 22, pp. 4613-4615, December 1, 2003
- Woo-Jin Chang, Demir Akin, Miroslav Sedlek, Michael Ladisch, Rashid Bashir, , "Hybrid Poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS)/Silicon Biochips For Bacterial Culture Applications", Biomedical Microdevices 5:4, 281-290, 2003.
- T. Geng, K. Kim, R. Gomez, D. Sherman, R. Bashir, M. R. Ladisch, and A. K. Bhunia, "Expression of Cellular Antigens of Listeria Monocytogenus that React with Monoclonal Antibodies C11E9 and EM-7G1 Under Acid, Salt, or Temperature Induced Stress Environments", Journal of Applied Microbiology, 95, pp762-772, 2003.
- T. T. Huang, T. Geng, D. Akin, W. J. Chang, J. Sturgis, R. Bashir, A. K. Bhunia, J. P. Robinson, M. R. Ladsich, "Micro-assembly of functionalized particulate monolayer on C18 derivatized SiO2 surfaces", Biotechnol Bioeng. Volume 83, Issue 4, Date: 20 August 2003, Pages: 416-427.
- S. W. Lee, R. Bashir, "Dielectrophoresis and Electro-hydrodynamics Mediated Fluidic Assembly of Silicon Resistors", Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 3833 (2003) -(also in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology--November 10, 2003, Volume 8, Issue 19 ).
- J. Zachary Hilt, Amit Gupta, Rashid Bashir, and Nicholas A. Peppas, "Ultra-sensitive biomems sensors based on Microcantilevers patterned with environmentally responsive hydrogels", Biomedical Microdevices, Volume 5, Issue 3. pp. 177-184, September 2003.
- H. McNally, M. Pingle, S. W. Lee, D. Guo, D. Bergstrom, and R. Bashir, "Self-Assembly of Micro and Nano-Scale Particles using Bio-Inspired Events", Applied Surface Science, vol 214/1-4 pp 109 - 119, 2003.
- A. Gupta, J. Denton, H. McNally, and R. Bashir, "Novel Fabrication Method for Surface Micro-Machined Thin Single-Crystal Silicon Cantilever Beams", IEEE/ASME Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vl. 12, No. 2, April 2003, pp. 185-192.
- T. Huang, J. Sturgis, R. Gomez, T. Geng, R. Bashir, A. K. Bhunia, J. P. Robinson, M. R. Ladisch, "Composite Surface for Blocking Bacterial Adsoprtion on Protein Biochips", Biotechnol Bioeng 81:618-624, 2003.
- R. Bashir, J.Z. Hilt, A. Gupta, O. Elibol, and N.A. Peppas, "Micro-mechanical Cantilever as an Ultra-Sensitive pH Micro-sensor", Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, No. 16, pp 3091-3093, Oct 14th, 2002.
- H. Chang, A. Ikram, T. Geng, F. Kosari, G. Vasmatzis, A. Bhunia, and R. Bashir, "Electrical characterization of microorganisms using microfabricated devices", J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 20, 2058 (2002).
- Haibo Li, Rashid Bashir, "Dielectrophoretic separation and manipulation of live and heat-treated cells of Listeria on microfabricated devices with interdigitated electrodes", Sensors and Actuators B, 86, 215-221, 2002.
- Rafael Gómez, Rashid Bashir, Arun K. Bhunia, "Microscale Electronic Detection of Bacterial Metabolism", Sensors and Actuators B, 86, 198-208, 2002.
- S. W. Lee, H. A. McNally, D. Guo, M. Pingle, D. E. Bergstrom, and R. Bashir, "Electric-Field-Mediated Assembly of Silicon Islands Coated with Charged Molecules", Langmuir, 18, 3383-3386, 2002.
- R. Bashir, "DNA Nanobiostructures", Materials Today, Nov/Dec. 2001, pp. 30-39. (Invited Review)
- R. Bashir, F. Hebert, J. DeSantis, J. M. McGregor, W. Yindeepol, K. Brown, R. Razouk, F. Moraveji, T. Mills, P. Hopper, J. Mcginty, L. Smith, and T. Krakowski, "A Complementary Bipolar Technology Family with a Vertically Integrated PNP for High Frequency Analog Applications", Special Issue on Bipolar Technology, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 48, no. 11, November 2001, pp. 2525-2534.
- S. Bourland, J. Denton, A. Ikram, G. W. Neudeck, And R. Bashir, "SOI Processes For The Fabrication Of Novel Nano-Structures", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, vol. 19, no. 5, Sept/Oct 2001, pp. 1995-1997.
- H-M. Cheng, M. T. S. Ewe, R. Bashir, and G. C. T. Chiu, "Modeling and Control of Piezoelectric Cantilever Beam Micro-Mirror and Micro-Laser Arrays to Reduce Image Banding in Electrophotographic Processes", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 11, 2001, pp. 487-498.
- R. Gomez, R. Bashir, T. Geng, A. Bhunia, M. Ladisch, H. Apple, S. Wereley, "Micro-Fluidic Bochip for Impedance Spectroscopy of Biological Species", Biomedical Micro-Devices, vol. 3, no. 3, September 14th, 2001, p. 201-209.
- J. Ward, R. Bashir, and N. Peppes, "Micropatterning of Biomedical Polymer Surfaces by Novel UV Polymerization Techniques", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Volume 56, Issue: 3, 24th Apr 2001, Pages: 351-360.
- R. Bashir, R. Gomez, A. Sarikaya, M. Ladisch, J. Sturgis, and J. P. Robinson, "Adsorption of Avidin on Micro-Fabricated Surfaces for Protein Biochip Applications", Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Volume 73, Issue 4, May 2001, pp. 324-328.
- R. Bashir, K-J Chao, and A. E. Kabir, "Atomic Force Microscopy Study of Self-Assembled Si1-xGex Islands Produced by Controlled Relaxation of Strained Films", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 19, No. 2, March/April 2001, pp. 517-522.
- S. Lee and R. Bashir, "Modeling and Characterization of Deep Trench Isolation Structures", Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 32, No. 4, Jan 2001, pp. 295-300.
- R. Bashir, "DNA-Mediated Artificial Nano-Bio-Structures: State of the Art and Future Directions", Superlattice and Microstructures, vol. 29, issue 1, p, January 2001, p. 1-16. (Invited Review)
- R. Bashir, A. Gupta, G. W. Neudeck, M. McElfresh, and R. Gomez, "On the Design of Piezoresistive Silicon Cantilevers with Stress Concentration Regions for Scanning Probe Microscopy Applications", Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Volume 10, Number 4, December 2000, pp. 483-491.
- R. Bashir and F. Hebert, "Stability of Boron And Phosphorus Implanted Tungsten Silicide Structures at HighTemperatures", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 18, No. 4, July/Aug, 2000.
- J. Babcock, P. Francis, R. Bashir, A. E. Kabir, T. Dhayahude, W. Yindeepol, S. J. Prasad, A. Kalnitsky, M. E. Thomas, H. Haggag, K. Egan, R. Razouk, and D. K. Schroder, "Precision Electrical Trimming of Poly-SiGe Resistors", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 283-285, June 2000.
- R. Bashir, T. Su, J. M. Sherman, G. W. Neudeck, J. Denton, and A. Obeidat "Reduction of Sidewall Defect Induced Leakage Currents by the Use of Nitrided Field Oxides in Silicon Selective Epitaxial Growth (SEG) Isolation for Advanced ULSI", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 18, No. 2, March/April 2000.
- R. Gómez, G. W. Neudeck, R. Bashir, "On the Design and Fabricaton of Novel Lateral Bipolar Transistor in a Deep-Submicron Technology", Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 199-205, Feb 2000.
- A. E. Kabir, R. Bashir, J. Bernstein, J. De Santis, R. Mathews, J. O. O'Boyle, C. Bracken, "Very High Sensitivity Acoustic Transducers with Thin P+ Membrane and Gold Back Plate", Sensors and Actuators-A, Vol. 78, issue 2-3, pp.138-142, 17th Dec. 1999.
- R. Bashir, A. E. Kabir, and K. Chao, "Formation of Self-Assembled Si1-xGex Islands Using Reduced Pressure Chemical Vapor Deposition and Subsequent Thermal Annealing of Thin Germanium Rich Films", Applied Surface Science, 152, pp. 99-106, 1999.
- R. Bashir, A. E. Kabir, P. Westrom, D. Rossman, "Phosphorus and Arsenic Dopant Profile Control for High Performance Epitaxial Base Bipolar Junction Devices", Applied Physics Letters, Volume 75, Issue 6, pp. 796-798, August 9th , 1999.
- R. Bashir, F. Wang, W. Yindepool, J. De Santis, J. McGregor, "Back Gated Buried Oxide MOSFETs in a High Voltage Bipolar Technology for Bonded Oxide/SOI Interface Characterization", IEEE Electron Device Letter, Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 282-284, August 1998.
- R. Bashir, A. E. Kabir, F. Hebert, C. Bracken, "Tungsten Silicide and Tungsten Polycide Anisotropic Dry Etch Process for Highly Controlled Dimensions and Profiles", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, 16(4), pp. 2118-2120, Jul/Aug 1998.
- M. Jamal Deen, S. Rumyantsev, R. Bashir, R. Taylor, "Measurements and Comparison of Low Frequency Noise in NPN and PNP Polysilicon Emitter Bipolar Junction Transistors", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 84, No.1, pp. 625-633, 1st July 1998.
- R. Bashir, F. Hebert, "PLATOP-A Novel Planarized Trench Isolation and Field Oxide Formation Using Poly-Silicon", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol.17, No. 7, pp. 352-354, July 1996.
- J. M. Sherman, G. W. Neudeck, J. P. Denton, R. Bashir, W. W. Fultz, "Elimination of the Sidewall Defects in Selective Epitaxial Growth (SEG) of Silicon for a Dielectric Isolation Technology", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol.17, No. 6, pp. 267-269, June 1996.
- R. Bashir, S. Kim, N. Qadri, D. Jin, G. W. Neudeck, J. P. Denton, G. Yeric, K. Wu, A. Tasch, "Degradation of Insulators in the Silicon Selective Epitaxial Growth Ambient", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 306-308, Sept. 1995.
- R. Bashir, G. W. Neudeck, H. Yen, E. P. Kvam, "Characterization and Modeling of Sidewall Defects in Selective Epitaxial Growth of Silicon", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 11, no. 5, p. 928-935, June/July 1995.
- R. Bashir, G. W. Neudeck, H. Yen, E. P. Kvam, and J. P. Denton, "Characterization of Sidewall Defects in Selective Epitaxial Growth of Silicon", Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 923-928, June/July 1995.
- R. Bashir, W. McKweon, A. E. Kabir, "A Simple Process to Produce High Quality Silicon Surface Prior to Selective Epitaxial Growth ", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 392-395, June 1995.
- H. Yen, E. P. Kvam, R. Bashir, G. W. Neudeck, "Microstructural Examination of Extended Crystal Defects in Silicon Selective Epitaxial Growth", Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1331-1339, 1993.
- R. Bashir, S. Venkatesan, H. Yen, G. W. Neudeck, E. P. Kvam, "Doping of Poly-crystalline Silicon Films Using an Arsenic Spin-on-Dopant Source", Journal of Vaccum Science and Technology-B, Vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 1903-1905, Sept/Oct 1993.
- R. Bashir, S. Venkatesan, G. W. Neudeck, J. P. Denton, "A Poly-Silicon Contacted Sub-Collector BJT for a 3-Dimensional BiCMOS Process", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 392-395, Aug 1992.
- R. Bashir, G. W. Neudeck, "A Technique to Measure the Dynamic Response of a-Si:H Circuits", Solid State Electronics, Vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 973-974, 1990.
- R. Bashir, C. Subramaniam, G. W. Neudeck, K. Y. Chung, "Transit Time Studies and Electron Mobility Measurement in Hydrogenated Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Transistor", IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, Vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2944-2948, Dec. 1989
- "Education and Mentorship Award", 2003 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH.
- Joel and Spira "Outstanding Teacher Award" from School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, 2000.
- Fellow of the American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS) 2012.
- Fellow of American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2010.
- Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2009
- Invited to attend and present at the NSF US-EU symposium on BioNanotechnology, Ispra, Italy, May 2008
- Invited to Attend the Japan-US National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers of Engineering Meeting, Nov 5-7th, 2007, Palo Alto, CA.
- 2006 College of Agricultural Team Research Award: Biosensors for Food Safety, Purdue University.
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar, 2005 - 2010.
- Small Times Magazine one of five Finalist of "Innovator of the Year" Award, 2005.
- "Global Indus Technovator" Award 2003, in Materials and Devices, by the MIT Sloan Business School and the Indian Business Club (http://technovators.mit.edu/). Top 20 technologist South Asian Background in 2003.
- Member of the United States delegation to Japan for the 2nd Japan-US (NSF/MEXT) Joint Symposium on Nanotechnology in Advanced Therapy and Diagnostics at Yokohama, Japan on October 9-12th, 2003.
- Student Poster Award at 2003 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH. (graduate student Rafael Gomez)
- NSF Faculty Early Career Award 2000-2004.
- Student Poster Award at 2002 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH. (graduate student Haibo Li)
- Technology Translation Award, 2001, BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH.
- Invited to attend DARPA Workshop on Nanotechnology for Biodetection/Bioassay and Delivery of Therapeutics to Individual Cells, December 12th - 13th , 2000, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Patent achievement Awards from National Semiconductor Corp. 1993-1998
- BIOE 435 - Senior Design I
- BIOE 497 - Individual Study
- BIOE 498 - Cell as a Machine
- BIOE 498 - Prin of Synthetic Biology
- BIOE 498 - Special Topics
- ME 498 - Stem Cell Engineering