Professor, Department Head Bioengineering
1270 Digital Computer Lab, MC-MC 278
1304 W. Springfield
Urbana, Illinois 61801
PhD, 1992, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- Research Statement:
- My research interests include BioMEMS, Lab on a chip, nano-biotechnology, interfacing biology and engineering from molecular to tissue scale, and applications of semiconductor fabrication to biology, all applied to solve biomedical problems.
- Research Interests:
- BioMEMS and Biosensors, BioNanotechnology, Nanomedicine, Applications of MEMS and nanotechnology in medical and biological problems, Multi scale tissue engineering.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities:
- We are looking for undergraduate students interested in integrating Nanotechnology with Biotechnology for diagnostics, therapeutics, and tissue engineering.
- Graduate Research Opportunities:
- Looking for energetic students interested in projects at the interface of nanotechnology, biology and medicine.
- Post-Doctoral Research Opportunities:
- Looking for energetic post-docs interested in projects at the interface of nanotechnology, biology and medicine.
- For more information:
- Prof. Bashir's Research Group Page
- Web Page for the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements:
- IEEE EMBS Technical Achievement Award (2012)
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching:
- "Education and Mentorship Award", 2003 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH.
- Joel and Spira "Outstanding Teacher Award" from School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University, 2000.
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Research:
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2013
- Fellow of the American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS)2012
- Fellow of American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2010.
- IEEE EDS Distinguished Lecturer, 2009-2011.
- Fellow of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2009
- Invited to attend and present at the NSF US-EU symposium on BioNanotechnology, Ispra, Italy, May 2008
- Invited to Attend the Japan-US National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers of Engineering Meeting, Nov 5-7th, 2007, Palo Alto, CA.
- 2006 College of Agricultural Team Research Award: Biosensors for Food Safety, Purdue University.
- Small Times Magazine one of five Finalist of "Innovator of the Year" Award, 2005.
- Purdue University Faculty Scholar, 2005 - 2010.
- Honorary Member, Golden Key International Honor Society, 2005.
- "Global Indus Technovator" Award 2003, in Materials and Devices, by the MIT Sloan Business School and the Indian Business Club (http://technovators.mit.edu/). Top 20 technologist South Asian Background in 2003.
- Member of the United States delegation to Japan for the 2nd Japan-US (NSF/MEXT) Joint Symposium on Nanotechnology in Advanced Therapy and Diagnostics at Yokohama, Japan on October 9-12th, 2003.
- Selected by National Academy of Engineering to attend the Frontiers in Engineering Workshop in Fall 2003.
- Student Poster Award at 2003 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH. (graduate student Rafael Gomez)
- NSF Faculty Early Career Award 2000-2004.
- Student Poster Award at 2002 BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH. (graduate student Haibo Li)
Technology Translation Award, 2001, BioMEMS and biomedical Nanotechnology World Congress Meeting, Columbus, OH.
- Invited to attend DARPA Workshop on Nanotechnology for Biodetection/Bioassay and Delivery of Therapeutics to Individual Cells, December 12th - 13th , 2000, Scottsdale, AZ.
- Patent achievement Awards from National Semiconductor Corp. 1993-1998
- Highest Ranking Graduate in the College of Engineering," Texas Tech University December 1987.
- Engineering Scholarship at Texas Tech University, January 1985 to December 1987; President's List/Dean's List, August 1984 to December 1987.