Ph.D. -- UIUC, ECE/Physics, 1975.
- Research Statement:
- The central theme in our research programs is to advance the state-of-the-art in microelectronic, optoelectronic and microsystem devices by developing and exploiting novel micro/nano-fabrication technologies. These fabrication technologies enable patterning and microstructuring of a variety of organic and inorganic materials -- including semiconductors, polymers, metals, dielectrics and biological materials -- and producing devices, structures and systems previously not deemed possible. Examples of such devices and systems that are our research objectives include nanoscale semiconductor devices; multifunctional distributed sensors; and electronic modules produced on flexible substrates using novel large-area fabrication techniques. To realize cost-effective fabrication of such devices that will make their implementation in a variety of scientific and commercial applications practical, we are developing the necessary combination of novel processes, structures and systems, such as massively parallel maskless nanolithography; high-resolution, conformable lithography on nonplanar surfaces; excimer laser photoablation in a variety of materials; laser processing of semiconductor films to create active devices; large-area lithography for flat and flexible displays; microfluidic devices and biomolecular arrays; and optoelectronics, micro-optics and photonic circuits.
- Research Interests:
- Ultra-high-resolution lithography technologies for nanoscale devices
- Smart skins: Large-area, integrated, distributed, multifunctional sensors on flexible substrates
- Energy-smart buildings: Optoelectronic envelope technologies for energy efficiency and recycling
- Excimer laser processing technologies for fabrication of displays and microelectronics
- Optoelectronics, micro-optics, and photonic circuits
- Micro and nano fabrication technologies
- For more information:
- Photonics, Microelectronics, and Microsystems Laboratory
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements:
- Elected to the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, 2009, for "development of high-resolution, deep-ultraviolet excimer laser lithography for microelectronic fabrication."
- Recognized in 50 Years of Laser History Milestones Timeline prepared by APS, IEEE, OSA and SPIE.
- Recipient of the Richardson Medal of OSA, 2008, for "pioneering contributions to the development of high-resolution optical microlithography technologies, especially for the invention and development of excimer laser lithography and systems for production of microelectronic devices."
- Fellow of IEEE, 2005.
- Fellow of Optical Society of America, 1999.
- Founding Member, Department of Physics Advisory Board, UIUC, 1998-2002.
- Fellow of SPIE, 1993.
- Founder and President of Anvik Corporation, a microelectronics manufacturing systems company; obtained $21 million in external funding.
- Outstanding Innovation Awards by IBM for invention and development of excimer laser lithography, used worldwide for semiconductor chip production, 1985, 1988.
- Holder of 71 patents (58 issued/allowed, 13 pending), including inventions of core lithography technology for production of ICs (see above) and large-area lithography technology widely used in production of flat-panel televisions and displays.
- Member of the Board of Directors of SPIE, 1992-94.
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of SPIE, 1992, 93.
- SPIE Editor of Microlithography World, a publication of Pennwell Publishing Company in collaboration with SPIE, 1992-2004.
- SPIE Publications Committee Chair, 1992, 93.
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching:
- Created a new graduate-level course, ECE 510, Micro/Nanolithography: Science, Technology, and Applications. Provides a comprehensive foundation in the broad field of lithography, the central process technology critical to the fabrication of a vast array of micro/nano structures required in microelectronic devices, displays, flexible electronics, microelectromechanical systems, and biotechnology.
- Delivered invited lectures at Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, on Micro and Nanolithography, March 2008.