Electrical and Computer Engineering
3251 Beckman Institute, MC-MC 251
405 N. Mathews
Urbana, Illinois 61801
PhD, Theoretical Solid State Physics 1978
- Research Statement:
- Jean-Pierre Leburton received his Ph.D. from the University of Liege (Belgium) in 1978. He is a professor in the UIUC Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and a research professor in the Coordinated Science Laboratory. He is also a full-time faculty member of the Computational Electronics Group in the Beckman Institute.
Professor Leburton's expertise is the theory and simulation of nanoscale semiconductor devices and low-dimensional systems. His research focuses more specifically on transport and optical processes in semiconductor nanostructures such as quantum wells, quantum wires and quantum dots. Current research projects involve electronic properties of self-assembled dots for high performance lasers, single-electron charging and spin effects in quantum dots, modeling of nanocrystal floating gate flash memory devices, nanoscale Si MOSFET's and carbon nanotubes and graphene nanostructures. His research deals also with dissipative mechanisms involving electron-phonon interaction in nanostructures for mid- and far-infrared intra-band lasers. Approaches to these problems involve use of sophisticated numerical techniques such as Monte-Carlo simulation and advanced 3D self-consistent Schroedinger-Poisson model including non-equilibrium transport for full scale nanodevice modeling.In the last few years, he turned his interest toward the interaction between living systems and semiconductors to investigate programming and sensing biomolecules with nanoelectronics.
- Research Interests:
- Theory of Semiconductor Devices, Modeling and Simulation of Nanostructures, Electronic and Optical Properties of Heterostructures and Low Dimensional Systems, Transport in Quantum Structures and Carbon-based nanostructures, Electronic Properties, Charging Effects in Quantum Dots and Nanocrystals, Spin Effects in Nanostructures, Quantum computation and Quantum Information Processing, Nano-biotechnology.
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements:
- Listed in Who’s Who among Executives and Professionals (2010 edition)
- Listed in Manchester Who's Who, Honors Edition (2005-2006)
- Listed in Who's Who in finance and Business, 35th Edition (2005), 36th (2008-2009) and 37th editions
- Listed in Who’s Who in America, 58th, 61st & 64th Editions
- Listed in American Men and Women of Science, 20th& 21st Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 4th, 5th, 8th 9th &10th Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in American Education 5th, 6th 7th &8th Editions
- Listed in Who's Who in the World, 9th, 10th & 24th Editions
- Keynote Speaker,
BIT, 4th Annual World Congress of Nano-Science and Technology (Nano S&T-2014), Qingdao, China, October 29-31, 2014.
- Keynote Speaker, March session of the Technology and Society Class of the Belgium Royal Academy of Science, March 2, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker, 2d International Conference and Exhibition on Biosensors &Bioelectronics June 17-19, 2013 Hilton Chicago Northbrook, USA.
- Academician Forum "BIT's 2D Annual World Congress of Nano-Science and Technology, October 26-28, 2012, Qingdao, China
- Keynote Speaker, 2d Annual World Congress of Nano-Science and Technology,Qingdao, China, October 26-28, 2011.
- Lecturer,Belgian Academy of Sciences, February, 15, 2012.
- Academician Forum "BIT's 1rst Annual World Congress of Nano-Science and Technology, October 2011, Dalian, China
- Keynote Speaker, 1rst Annual World Congress of Nano-Science and Technology, Dalian, China, October 23-26, 2011.
- IEEE-NTC Distinguished Lecture, Peking University, Beijing, China, October 21, 2010.
- IEEE-NTC Distinguished Lecture,Seoul National University, South Korea.,August, 20,2010
- Distinguished Speaker,University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, April 14, 2010,
- Inaugural Montefiore Distinguished Lecture, Pennstate University, October 2002
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences 1996
- Hitachi LTD, Quantum Materials Chair 1992, University of Tokyo
- ESIS Fellowship 1978-79
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Research:
- Finalist, 2013 Innovation Celebration for the Innovation Discovery Award, Champaign County, Il
- Royal Academy of Science, Letters and Fine Arts of Belgium, Associate (Foreign) Member
- IEEE Nanotechnology Council Distinguished Lecturer
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- Best paper finalists, IEEE-NANO 2007, Hong-Kong, SAR, China
- Quantum Devices Award
- Gold Medal for Scientific Achievement, 75th Anniversary of the Alumnus Association “ Les Amis de L’Universite de Liege”, Belgium
- Associate, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois,
- Fellow of the Electro Chemical Society
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancmeent of Science (AAAS)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS)
- Fellow of the IEEE
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Public Service:
- Editorial Advisory Board of the Open Access journal “Nanoelectronics and Spintronics”, De Gruyter Open Publisher
- Guest Editor, Journal of Computational Electronics, Special Issue on "Computational Approaches to Solid State Membranes for DNA sensing /Sequencing
- Associate Editor, Journal of Computational Electronics, Springer,
- Chair, Young Scientist Award Committee, International Conference of Superlattices, Nanostructures and Nanodevices (ICSNN)
- Guest Editor, IEEE-TNT, special issue on “ Nanoelectronic Device Interface to Biomolecules and Cells”
- Series Editor, Electronic Materials and Devices Series, Taylor and Francis,
- Chairman, IEEE Nanotechnology Council Fellow evaluation Committee
- Editorial Advisory Board, The Open Condensed Matter Physics Journal, Bentham Science Publishers,
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology, (computational nanotechnology)
- Chairman, Steering Committee, International Conference on Superlattices Nanostructures and Nanodevices (ICSNN) (satellite conference of the International Conference of the Physics of Semiconductors)
- Elected member, IEEE Nanotechnology Council Fellow evaluation Committee
- Chair, "Modeling and Simulation" Technical sub-Committee, IEEE-Nanotechnology Research Council(NTC-TC-10)
- Steering Committee, World University Network (WUN) on Spintronics
- Member “Spintronics” Technical sub-Committee (NTC-TC5) IEEE Nanotechnology Council
- Selected Member, "Round Table" on the "Mobility of European Scientists" with the presence of His Majesty, King Albert II of Belgium, organized by the European Directorate for Science and Technology, Brussels,
- Chevalier Dans L'Ordre Des Palmes Academiques, (French-Government)