4055 Beckman Institute, MC-MC 251
405 N. Mathews
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Ph.D. in Optics, 2002, College of Optics and Photonics, University of Central Florida
- Research Statement:
- Our lab develops novel optical methods based on light scattering, interferometry, and microscopy, to image cells and tissues quantitatively and with nanoscale sensitivity. We apply our techniques to both basic science (e.g., cell dynamics, cell growth, intracellular transport, membrane fluctuations, tissue optics) and clinical applications (e.g., blood screening, cancer diagnosis). We are located in the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Prof. Gabriel Popescu is faculty in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and affiliated faculty in Bioengineering; our group members are from Physics, Electrical, Mechanical, and Bioengineering.
- Research Interests:
- Biomedical Optics/ Biophotonics
- Quantiative light imaging of cells and tissues
- Cell membrane dynamics
- Viscoelastic properties of live cells
- Cancer diagnosis
- Optical properties of cells and tissues
- Interference microscopy
- Globally affordable blood testing
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities:
- We are actively looking for undergraduate students with programing skills, C/C++, CUDA, OpenCV, Qt, Java, interested in developing the new generation of automated microscopes.
- Graduate Research Opportunities:
- We look for dedicated graduate students that enjoy being scientifically challenged on a regular basis. We are a biomedical optics lab that aims to apply new technology to understanding cell function and disease quantitatively. Our students learn how to do everything, from building/aligning an optical setup and understanding the biological problem to acquiring data, analyzing them, and presenting the results in high impact publications and conferences. Our record for most publications by a graduate student is standing at 20 (twenty) peer-reviewed articles. Our students tend to win awards and become famous.
- Post-Doctoral Research Opportunities:
- We look for dedicated postdocs that enjoy being scientifically challenged on a dayly basis. We are a biomedical optics lab that aims to apply new technology to understanding cell function and disease quantitatively. Besides leading their own research porjects, the postdocs in our lab are expected to work closely with several graduate students and porvide guidance.
- For more information:
- Quantitative Light Imaging Laboratory
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements:
- SPIE Fellow (2014)
- Center for Advanced Studies Fellow, UIUC 2012-2013
- Innovation Discovery award Finalist, UIUC 2012
- 2009 NSF CAREER Award (2009)
- MIT 50K Entrepreneurship Competition, 1K award in "Hardware" (
- Charles Gramm Award, School of Optics/ CREOL; University of Central Florida (2000)
- New Focus Travel Grant; New Focus (1999,2000)
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching:
- Incomplete List of Excellent Teachers
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Research:
- Outstanding Paper Award, Gordon Research Conference, "Lasers in Medicine and Biology"
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Public Service: