The safety of the laboratory users and of the laboratory itself is more important than any project or process.
Cleanroom Rules of Conduct:
- Safety glasses shall be worn at all times.
- Cleanroom garments, including head covering shall be worn at all times in the cleanrooms.
- No user shall operate any equipment within the laboratory without having been properly trained and approved by the superuser of that equipment.
- No chemical or process shall be left unattended without proper labeling and user identification and contact information.
- All chemicals will be used at the appropriate fume hood: Acids and bases in an acid/base hood and solvents in a solvent hood.
- “Sharps” (glass, quartzware, wafers, razors, etc) shall be disposed of in the marked containers.
- Trash and waste shall be disposed of in the appropriate container. If a waste/trash container is full, either empty it, or contact a staff member to empty it.
- Eating and gum chewing are prohibited in the laboratory. Drinking is also prohibited in the laboratory, except at the drinking fountain north of the gowning area (Room 214).
- Only cleanroom paper and notebooks are allowed in the laboratory. No pencils or erasers are allowed in the laboratory. Cleanroom wipes are not to be used as notepaper.
- The double doors between the cleanroom laboratories and the “dirty doughnut” shall remain closed at all times.
Ignorance of the rules, lack of common sense, language difficulties, carelessness and haste are not valid excuses for unsafe or improper behavior.