MNTL Off-Hours Equipment Usage:
The following “Buddy System” procedures must be fully and strictly observed by all cleanroom lab users during off-hours, i.e., whenever MNTL staff are not present in the building. The building is currently staffed from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For holidays and other occasions when these hours are reduced, notices will be posted at the cleanroom entry.
Any activity in the cleanrooms during off-hours requires:
1) A MINIMUM of TWO authorized users (“2 buddies”) present in the cleanrooms at all times.
2) The operation of any Hazardous Equipment requires filling out and submitting the web-based Tool Use Notification Form prior to use: http://my.mntl.illinois.edu/resv/TNF.asp.
Hazardous Equipment is defined as any tool that requires the use of a CDO box during operation.
3) The operation of ALL hazardous equipment must be HALTED if an alarm condition occurs. If a dangerous condition exists, evacuate the cleanrooms immediately.
4) Users of hazardous equipment located in Labs 218, 220, 222, 228, and 230 should always inform their buddies of their location.
If these conditions cannot be met, you are prohibited working in the cleanrooms during off-hours.
Violations of the MNTL Cleanroom Buddy Policy are determined automatically by the same program that monitors cleanroom entries and exits. Violations generate e-mail notifications which are sent to the violator and his or her advisor.
Violations of the buddy policy will result in the following sanctions:
• 1st violation: the violator will receive a warning.
• 2nd violation: an immediate two-week suspension from the cleanrooms.
• 3rd violation: an immediate four-week suspension from the cleanrooms.
Subsequent violations will result in permanent suspension from the lab. The possibility of re-admittance will be contingent upon a determination made by MNTL administrators after consultation with the violator and his or her advisor.
Operation of any hazardous equipment outside of normal working hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday) is NOT recommended. If you choose to do so, please be especially careful and follow the above regulations.
The following operations are NOT permitted except during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday:
Toxic gas cylinder changes
Maintenance operations on materials growth chambers
For situations that require medical assistance (Emergency), call 9-911.
For non-life threatening hazardous situations (Non-Emergency), call the Division of Public Safety: 333-1216.