Please read the following lab access procedures
carefully! Failure to complete each step of these instructions could prevent
or delay your access to the BioNanotechnology Laboratories within MNTL.
- Complete and submit the Keycard Request Form.If cylinder key(s) are needed please print out a
Cylinder Key Request Form and submit it to the MNTL Business Office in Room 2104 MNTL.
- Complete the following Division of Research Safety (DRS) training sessions:
- General Lab Safety Training (online). Print
out the certificate generated upon completion of the training. If you are an
external user, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for DRS login and password information.
- Understanding Biosafety (online).
Safe Handling of Human Cell Lines/Materials in a
Research Laboratory (live/online). This training is ONLY required
if you plan to work with human cell lines and/or other human-origin materials.
If you have any questions on whether you will need to have this training,
contact DRS or send e-mail to
These training modules are
required by the Division of Research Safety and the Micro & Nanotechnology
Laboratory. The Human Cell Lines training session (if applicable to you) is a
requirement of the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard adopted by the Illinois
Department of Labor.
- Pre-register for the MNTL BioNano Lab Orientation (live) by completing and
submitting the MNTL Questionnaire for New BioNano Lab Users at least three days in
advance of the scheduled orientation.
- Attend the MNTL Building Safety Training, normally held on the first Tuesday
and third Monday of each month at 3:30 p.m. Report to Room
2104 MNTL when you arrive for the training. Please send
e-mail to email@example.com at least three days prior to the scheduled
training session to confirm your intention to attend.
- Complete the MNTL BioNano Lab Orientation and Safety Training:
- Read and Understand the MNTL BioNano Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and fill out the Biological Safety Awareness Certification form.
- Complete the MNTL BioNano Lab Orientation (live). This orientation is held on the
first Tuesday and third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. It may last up to
2 hours. Report to Room 2104 MNTL when you arrive for the
At the BioNano Lab orientation you must bring the
- Your Keycard Request Form signed by a PI/Faculty member
- The DRS training certificates generated by your completion of Step 2 above.
- The signed (by you) Biological Safety Awareness Certificate from Step 4.1.
- $8.50 fee for your proximity i-card form
- $25 deposit for each cylinder key requested
Once the above access
procedures have been finalized, BioNano Lab users should contact the appropriate
“super-user” to schedule individual training on any specialized equipment you
will need to use in the BioNano Labs. (See “BioNano Equipment Super-User List”,
A list of essential fact sheets providing details about
working with BioSafety Level 2 (BSL-2) hazardous materials can be found on the
DRS web site. (See: Biological Safety Fact Sheets.)
Researchers and PI/Faculty are urged to read and understand these documents
prior to the start of their work in the MNTL BioNano Labs. For further
information please refer to the CDC booklet
Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL).
For general biosafety questions pertaining to the MNTL
facilities, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-265-4452.