Please read the following lab access procedures
carefully! Failure to complete each step of these instructions could prevent
or delay your access to the BioNanotechnology Laboratories within MNTL.
- Complete and submit the Keycard Request Form. You can also obtain a print copy from the MNTL Business Office in Room 2104 MNTL. You need to get this form signed by your PI, or he/she can e-mail the business office stating that you can take the training.
- If cylinder key(s) are needed please print out a Cylinder Key Request Form and submit it to the business office. Make sure it is signed by your PI.
- Pre-register for the MNTL BioNano Lab Orientation (live) by completing and submitting the MNTL Questionnaire for New BioNano Lab Users.
- Complete the following Division of Research Safety (DRS) training sessions:
- General Lab Safety Training (online). If you are an
external user, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for DRS login and password information. E-mail the certificate to the business office before your training. Alternatively, you can print it and drop it at the business office before your training.
- Understanding Biosafety (online). Send a copy to the business office.
Safe Handling of Human Cell Lines/Materials in a
Research Laboratory (live/online). This training is ONLY required
if you plan to work with human cell lines and/or other human-origin materials.
If you have any questions on whether you will need to have this training,
contact DRS or send e-mail to
These training modules are
required by the Division of Research Safety and the Micro & Nanotechnology
Laboratory. The Human Cell Lines training session (if applicable to you) is a
requirement of the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard adopted by the Illinois
Department of Labor.
- Read and Understand the MNTL BioNano Laboratory Standard Operating Procedures and fill out the Biological Safety Awareness Certification form. E-mail this certificate to or drop it off at the business office.
- Complete the MNTL BioNano Lab Orientation (live). This orientation is normally held on the first Tuesday and third Monday of each month at 1:30 p.m. It may last up to 2 hours. Report to Room 2104 MNTL when you arrive for the orientation. Your submitted forms are your confirmation that you want to attend the training.
- Attend the MNTL Building Safety Training, also normally held on the first Tuesday and third Monday of each month at 4:00 p.m. Report to Room 2104 MNTL when you arrive for the training. Your submitted forms are your confirmation that you want to attend the training.
- You can obtain a Proximity Card Form no sooner than one day after your training. If you already have a 5-digit prox card number on the back of your i-card, you do not need to get another prox card number. If you do need a prox card number, the form is $8.50, payable by cash or check (no debit or credit cards).
- You will be able to get cylinder keys after you have obtained your prox card number. Each key requires a $25 refundable deposit, payable by cash or check.
Once the above access procedures have been finalized, BioNano Lab users should contact the appropriate “super-user” to schedule individual training on any specialized equipment you will need to use in the BioNano Labs.
A list of essential fact sheets providing details about working with BioSafety Level 2 (BSL-2) hazardous materials can be found on the DRS web site. (See: Biological Safety Fact Sheets.) Researchers and PI/Faculty are urged to read and understand these documents prior to the start of their work in the MNTL BioNano Labs. For further information please refer to the CDC booklet Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL).
For general biosafety questions pertaining to the MNTL
facilities, please e-mail email@example.com or call 217-333-3097.